For Sale By Owner Safety Tips
Unfortunately, we live in a world where we need to worry about safety. Your safey is important to us! Here are a few tips to keep you safe during showings and open houses. Stay safe and happy selling!
- Never tell a stranger that you cannot show because you are not home. Instead, explain that you have company and suggest a better time.
- Screen your buyers! Only show your home to buyers that are pre-approved with a lender. Ask to get a copy of the pre-approval letter emailed to you before the showing. Please give us a call if you would like a recommendation for a lender to refer people to. We work with numerous lenders and it is a common practice not to show homes without a pre-approval.
- Try to have someone else at home when you are showing the home. If you cannot, here are a couple of ideas:
- Only show on appointment. Don’t allow drive bys.
- Let a neighbor or friend know when these appointments are and arrange to call after the appointment.
- Have a code word or phrase that you can use should you feel uncomfortable during the showing. Excuse yourself to make a phone call and use the phrase. It could be something as simple as “don’t forget the milk.”
- Remove or hide all jewelry, valuables, weapons and prescription medicine bottles.
- Try to avoid giving out too much information over the phone, such as information about security systems or times the house might be unoccupied.
- Ask for identification before allowing someone into your home and then ask them for their phone number and email address. Jot down a description of their car and make note of their license plate number. Keep a list of the people that have viewed your home.
- Never leave someone that is viewing your home alone. After a showing make sure all windows and doors are locked.
- Never lead a buyer into a room. Always follow them. Leave yourself an exit route and a clear path to the door.
- Keep your cellphone with you while showing.